NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course – Blended – Phase II
$90 per student (plus $20 range fee)
This course consists of 2 phases in order to complete. Phase 1 is online consisting of classroom work and exam. Phase 2 is practical and live fire.
Register for Phase 1 on the NRA Course search website. Click HERE to access the site. Cost is $60 paid directly to the NRA. Once registered you have 90 days to complete the course and then pass the exam with 90%. If you do not pass, you will be given four opportunities to take the exam again.
Course consists of the following:
- Gun Safety Rules
- Types of Pistols
- Understanding a Revolver & a Semi-Automatic Pistol
- The Fundamentals of Pistol Shooting
- Shooting Positions
- Pistol Shooting Errors
- Clearing Pistol Stoppages
- Cleaning and Maintenance
- Selecting Pistols, Ammunition & Accessories
- Maintaining Your Skills
Once you pass, you will be directed to print or save your completion certificate. You will be issued PIN number to use when you register for Phase 2.
Register for Phase 2 on the same site. Click HERE to access the site. Cost for Phase 2 is $100.
Phase II of the NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course reinforces and applies the skills students have already learned in the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting e-learning. Ultimately, students will become more comfortable and familiar with pistols in order to achieve certification. The Basic Pistol Course will also help prepare the student for participation in other NRA courses.
Exercise 1: Firearm and Range Safety Review Setting: Classroom and/or range
- Review the three NRA rules for safe gun-handling.
- State range rules.
- Identify range commands.
Exercise 2: Fundamentals Setting: Classroom and/or range
- Determine your dominant eye.
- Assume a proper two-handed grip.
- Demonstrate the five fundamentals of pistol shooting: aiming, breath control, hold control, trigger control, and follow through.
Exercise 3: Loading, Cocking, De-cocking, Unloading, and Pistol Maintenance Setting: Classroom and/or Range
- Load, cock, de-cock, and unload a single-action revolver.
- Load, cock, de-cock, and unload a double-action revolver.
- Load, cock, de-cock, and unload a semi-automatic pistol.
- Review how to safely clean a pistol.
Exercise 4: Shooting Positions and Shooting Qualification Setting: Range
- Demonstrate the five learning steps to shoot from the benchrest position
- Demonstrate the five learning steps to shoot from the Isosceles position.
- Shoot the course qualification.
Red, White, and Blue Certification
Students must qualify at the Level 1: Red level to earn a Basic Pistol Course Completion certificate. Once the student accomplishes the Level 1: Red level, instructors are encouraged to offer them the opportunity to qualify for the Level 2: White, Level 3: Blue, and Instructor level endorsements on their certificates.
- Qualification for Level 1: Red is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 10 feet.
- Qualification for Level 2: White is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 15 feet.
- Qualification for Level 3: Blue is four five shot groups within the four-inch circle at 20 feet.
Students will also be afforded the opportunity to shoot to the same qualification standard an NRA Certified Instructor must shoot. Student will shoot 20 shots from 45 feet at the NRA Instructor Training Qualification Target. If the student is able to place 16 of the 20 shots within a six inch group, the student would earn the instructor level endorsement. Each endorsement is something they would be proud to share with their friends and family.
Full Payment including range fee
$90 each student (Plus $20 range fee)
Full Payment Rainbow Shooting Range Members
$90 each student (Rainbow Shooting Range members)
Deposit Now – Balance Due at Class
$40 each student – non refundable ($80 balance due on-site)